A perfect Winter comfort food that works perfectly on the Keto Diet and easily modified for vegetarian or vegan diets.
Remember the soul-warming Tomato Soup you had as a kid? This is a delicious, adult version of that. Comfort food at its finest!
The soup can be made with the addition of either bleu cheese or gorgonzola, which is essentially the Italian version of bleu cheese. It has a slightly greener tint to it and is a little less piquant, yet still very similar. Either way it adds a wonderful layer of flavor to the soup.
This soup works perfectly for the Keto diet with no modifications needed.
It can also easily be modified for vegetarian or vegan diets by leaving out the pancetta, replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock, and substituting a non-dairy milk or cream. For richness, I believe coconut milk or cream would be best.
This soup is quick and easy to make. As always, I suggest assembling all of your ingredients in advance and do whatever chopping, dicing, or other pre-preparation is necessary (what the French call mis en place). I also recommend that you always read though the entire recipe before starting to cook. Taking these steps can make things go so much smoother.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 medium onion–diced
1 large carrot–diced
2 tablespoons fresh garlic–minced
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons basil pesto
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup Gorgonzola (or Bleu) cheese–crumbled (plus additional for garnish)
3/4 cup pancetta (or bacon) — pre-cooked and chopped (plus additional for garnish)
- Heat oil in soup pot. Add diced onion and carrot. Sauté until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Sauté for one minute.
- Add canned tomatoes, chicken stock and basil pesto. If you have a rotary hand blender, use it to puree soup until smooth (or puree soup in batches in food processor fitted with steel blade).
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add heavy cream, gorgonzola cheese and pancetta. Stir and simmer for an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish soup with crumbled gorgonzola and chopped pancetta.
- Frankie’s Tips:
- Feel free to leave out the pancetta. If you want to make it vegetarian, substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock). If you want it vegan, substitute coconut cream or milk, or other creamy, unflavored milk alternative.
- If you don’t have a rotary hand blender, I highly suggest you purchase one. They are a very handy tool to have for making soups and pureed sauces.
This recipe can be found in my cookbook, Frankie at Home in the Kitchen, along with many other delicious soup recipes. The book is available on Amazon, or you may order autographed copies on my author website at frankcurtiss.com or click on the image to the right.
Hope you enjoy this wonderful recipe! Buon appetito! Frankie